Curriculum subject leader: Mr Harry Dignum
The Design & Technology Curriculum- 2020 and beyond
A Design Technologist at Maple Cross uses creativity and imagination to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts.
The aim of the DT curriculum at Maple Cross School is to raise children’s aspirations.
- To acquire a broad range of subject knowledge
- To draw on a variety of disciplines such as maths, science, engineering, computing and art
- To learn how to take risks, become resourceful, innovative and enterprising
- To develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world
The DT curriculum will recognise, acknowledge and celebrate the children’s various starting points and concurrently provide opportunities to broaden and enrich their horizons.
- All children will be given the opportunity to grow and develop as a design technician from their varying starting points (e.g. technology sets available to all children).
The structure of the DT curriculum is informed by both professional research and the context, needs and interests of the children.
- The school has adopted the Design and Technology Association scheme of work so that all teachers, no matter what their background in DT, feel confident, empowered and excited to teach it ad it will capture the interests of the children.
The DT curriculum will focus on the growth of and deepening in knowledge, the development and application of skills, the exposure to challenging concepts and the exploration of values and attitudes.
- Within the curriculum, the design allows for the progression of skills, builds subject knowledge and ensures deeper understanding of what it is to be a design technologist.
Connections and links within and across the DT curriculum will be made to promote and support learning. The curriculum will develop children as lead learners by developing inquisitive and curious minds and by providing them with opportunities to crucially reflect
- DT skills and topics will link wherever possible to all areas of the wider curriculum as seen in the planning overview.
Click here to see the coverage of DT across school.
For a copy of the Knowledge Maps (Kapow copyright) please contact the school office.