Below, you will find a range of resources to help support your child on their mathematical journey.
At Maple Cross, we find ways of teaching the Early Years Framework in an engaging way, whilst ensuring that there is an appropriate level of challenge for every child. Children who demonstrate good understanding of a particular mathematical idea will be challenged through a combination of reasoning, explaining and conceptualising to develop deep understanding, in line with Curriculum Guidelines. If you would like to view the full calculation policy, years 1-6, you can download it here.
- Play board games that involve a dice, e.g. ludo.
- Play with jigsaws of increasing complexity.
- Count and sort different objects up to ten.
- Cooking – weigh and talk about the amounts. Which is heavier or lighter? How do you know?
- Play 'I spy with my little eye the number . . . ' Look out for numbers on car number plates, homes, shops etc.
- Count things you do, e.g. count the stairs as you walk up or down, how many trees between home and the shops?
- Play with shapes and make pictures using shapes.
Gingerbread ordering game – Order the gingerbread man and support your child to understand sequencing.