Early Years Admissions 2018 and Beyond
Hertfordshire Schools are now responsible for their own Nursery admissions. Parents will apply direct to the school of their choice. All parents are eligible for 15 hours free Early Years education.
Government Funding for Nursery Age Children
Working parents may also be eligible for an additional 15 hours of care. These two entitlements together make up 30 hours free childcare. Parents will be responsible for checking their eligibility for the 15 additional hours. If they are eligible, they will be given a code which they will present to their chosen provider to claim the funding for the additional 15 hours. A summary of the eligibility criteria (as of 16th May 2017) is shown at the end of this document and full details and changes can be found on www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/parents.
To check if your child is entitled to the full 30 hours free childcare, go to www.childcarechoices.gov.uk.
Age range for Nursery pupils
- All children born between 1 September 2014 and 31st August 2015 will be eligible for a place in our nursery to start in September 2018.
- Hertfordshire County Council will post general information directly to parents of Hertfordshire children born between 01/09/2014 and 31/08/2015 in October/November 2017. Information will also be available on the Hertfordshire County Council Website. You may also wish to sign up to Hertfordshire’s ‘Update Me’ e-mail newsletter which you can do at hertfordshire.gov.uk/updateme.
- For full details of nurseries and early years providers, please click on the link hertfordshire.gov.uk./nurseryadmissions.
- To check that your child is the right age for free early education and childcare, and for up to date information on eligibility, go to hertfordshire.gov.uk/parents.
Maple Cross JMI & Nursery School offers the statutory 15 hours of free Early Years education in our Nursery class to 30 children each year.
School Opening Hours
Our Nursery class is open 38 weeks a year, school term time only, 8:50am – 12:00pm.
Additional Hours Provision
We work in conjunction with Butterflies Pre-School who offer the additional free 15 hours for working parents who are entitled to a total of 30 hours child care. The Pre-School also offers afternoon care to paying parents.
Butterflies is located within the grounds of Maple Cross School and works closely with our Nursery.
For further information about the provision that Butterflies offers, please contact them via e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone Mrs Karen Kavrazoni, Owner/Manager, on 07737 917 241.
Our Nursery Application Process
Please start by visiting our school.
Parents will receive a warm welcome from our headteacher, Duncan Roberts who will be delighted to give a tour of the whole school and tell you about our schools aims and ethos, and you will have the opportunity to meet some of the team.
Nursery Admission Arrangements
How to apply- Down load paper application from school Website and post/hand deliver to school
When to apply – Monday 5th February 2018
Deadline for applications – Friday 16th March 2017
Offers made – Tuesday 24th April 2018
Deadline for parents to accept place – Wednesday 2nd May 2018
Late applications will not be dealt with until all on-time applications have been considered.
There is no right of appeal for Nursery admissions.
Nursery Admission Criteria
Children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs requesting a place in our Nursery class will be processed in accordance with section 324 of the Education Act 1996. This also applies to children with a EHC (Education, Health and Care Plan).
If there are not enough places available, places will be allocated in the following order of priority:
Rule 1 – children looked after
Rule 2 – medical or social needs (evidence required)
Rule 3 – sibling, excluding year 6 pupils
Rule 4 – child’s nearest nursery
Rule 5 – children who live closest to the nursery.
30 Hours Free Childcare Eligibility Criteria
Parents of three and four year olds will need to meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for 30 hours free childcare:
- they earn or expect to earn the equivalent to 16 hours at National Minimum or Living Wage over the coming three months
- this equates to £120 a week (or c. £6,000 a year) for each parent over 25 year old or £112.80 a week (or c. £5,800 a year) for each parent between 21 and 24 years old
- this applies whether you are in paid employment, self-employed or on a zero hours contract
- the parent (and their partner where applicable) should be seeking the free childcare to enable them to work
- where one or both parents are on maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave, or if they are on statutory sick leave
- where one parent meets the income criteria and the other is unable to work because they are disabled, have caring responsibilities or have been assessed as having limited capability to work
- where a parent is in a ‘start-up period’ (i.e. they are newly self-employed) they do not need to demonstrate that they meet the income criteria for 12 month
- if a non-EEA (European economic area) national, the parent must have recourse to public funds
A parent will not meet the criteria when:
- either parent has an income of more than £100,000
- either parent is a non-EEA (European economic area) national and subject to immigration control (and has no recourse to public funds)
Provisional Report Pending Governors Ratification
Reception Applications 2018-2019
Children born between 1st September 2013 and 31st August 2014 must apply for a place in Reception class to commence 1st September 2018. Do not assume if your child is in a nursery class they will automatically move to Reception class, an application must be made through the Hertfordshire County Council admissions process at www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/.
Primary Admissions – Children born 01/09/2013-31/08/2014
Monday 6th November 2017 – Online admissions system opens
Monday 15th January 2018 – Closing date for applications
Monday 16th April 2018 – School offers made
Monday 30th April 2018 – Deadline for parents to accept places
SECONDARY TRANSFER – MOVING ON
Children born between 1st September 2006 and 31st August 2007 will move to secondary education in September 2018.
Secondary Transfer -School Admission Tests
Information for Parents of Children in Year 5
The SW Herts Admissions Consortium comprises seven local secondary schools (listed below) which operate admission tests for a proportion of their intake:
Parmiter’s, Queens’, Rickmansworth, Bushey Meads, St Clement Danes, Watford Grammar School for Boys and Watford Grammar School for Girls.
Secondary Transfer Applications 2017-2018
Secondary Admissions – Children born – 01/09/2006-31/08/2007
September/October – Secondary and upper schools hold their open events, see: www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/ for school details and application process.
Friday 1st September 2017 – Application process opens
Tuesday 31st October 2017 – Closing date for applications
Thursday 1st March 2018 – School places are offered
Thursday 15th March 2018 – Deadline of Parents to accept places