Developing Science Journals

Over the past two days we have been developing our scientific thinking and the skills of being a scientist. Rather than just knowledge or information we are developing skills such as questioning, observing, measuring, seeking patterns, sorting and grouping.

Here is a look at our Science Journals that we have started. What do you think?

4 thoughts on “Developing Science Journals

1. Hello all.

As always it was great to be involved in your science INSET day on Thursday. I would be very interested in having a look at your science journals from last week and as they develop over the year. I also think they will be very useful when intruding the notion of science journals to the children. I wonder if you might want to add the following to the guidance sheets that you are going to produce for the children.

Scientific journal writing is written

in the first person
    in the past tense
    in an informal way
    chronologically, using time connectives
    with feelings and emotions

Scientific journal writing is

reflective
    poses rhetorical questions; such as what if
    detailed and logical
    based on observations and measurements

Scientific journal writing can contain ‘awe and wonder’ moments and any personal surprises together with future ideas for exploring or testing.

I think will also be useful to use the ‘six hats’ as another way to ‘structure the children’s contributions’

Look forward to hear back from you

2. Creating the journals and considering how the children will use them was a real eye-opener.
    I like the fact that the children can choose how to document/present their scientific journey; it fits in well with the pupil planning choices we are pushing in UKS2 writing.
    I think it would be good to create ‘ephemera’ files that go onto tables during science sessions that include: post-its, speech bubbles, hat stickers etc – to help prompt, not lead, the children.
    Regular sharing of effective journal writing should encourage the more reluctant children. I like the notion that, as with scientific thinking/questioning, there is no right or wrong way to complete the journal.

The main challenge I can see is that some children may view the less structured approach of the journal as a license to ‘not care’ how it looks. I will challenge this through modelling and sharing good practice but, one to watch.

Mr Fowler – interesting that the suggestions for the ‘guidance sheet’ are mainly writing foci (a good thing!). It would be good to include some scientific thinking guidelines too – maybe a criteria for evaluating the quality of a question?

1. Mr Flint

Thank you for your comments. I do agree that we have to send the message that ‘presentation’ is very important; this helps the children understand the ‘value’ of their learning and the importance of process. This can be modelled by the ‘teacher’s journal’, thought collaborative journals and/or classroom displays and learning walls. As I said on the day this is not a ‘rough book’ but a different way to collate and present scientific thinking.

I do think the ‘scientific wheel’, as explored on the day, should be included in the guidance since this models being a scientist.

Again I like the idea of giving some question stems that would help children take on their learning for example: I wonder what would happen if……..My original idea was …..and now I think that…..

Mr Fowler

3. I have just spotted two typographical errors in my two contributions to the blog for which I apologise; enthusiasm has obviously overtaken the quality of my writing. Can you find the ‘deliberate’ errors ?